Thursday, October 1, 2009

Anglo-centric view

So recently I read a blog post about an Aztec exhibit in England that represented the Aztecs in a very bloody manner. To me, this blog, was the perfect example of our Anglo-centric view. We, as a culture of the West, are always trying to judge other cultures that are very different from us without ever stepping out from our Western point of view. And by doing so we miss the boat completely. Click the title to see the blog.

Well, comment number 12 on this blog post shared a satirical "Conquistador's Song" which so clearly fits. So I thought I would share it with you here:

Conquistador’s Song

On the way to go killing a whole bunch of people,
I learned THEY were murderers, TOO,
which only can make me look better
than murderers often do.
But if there’s a difference between us
it’s simple enough to trace:
they killed for god and power and TRIBE;
while we kill for God, greed, and RACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment